The Ashwell Village museum was founded in 1930 but its origins stretch back to the 1920’s when several pupils of the Ashwell Merchant Taylors School had their interest in the past encouraged by the headmaster and stimulated by the chance discovery of some domestic bygones. These relics – some coins, clay pipes and a beer mug – were displayed in a garden shed. In 1928 the collection accumulated by the boys was shown at a church fete. This was a great success for it bought to a wider audience their splendid work. After this event a committee was formed to find a permanent home for the collection.
Find out more on the Ashwell Museum Website.